After last night's lodging in Simmesport (rather like the Rebel Motel in Oxford, MS might have been in 1963), we've all looked forward to St. Francisville. Because of heavy rains up north of here, the ferry across the Mississippi River is closed indefinitely. So, 14 of us volunteered to be sagged via Baton Rouge this morning to St.F. The others biked to This Ain't Your Mama's Cafe and waited until Linda could get us to St.F (90 min. trip) and go back for them. The idea was that we the first group could get here and do a long or short bike ride on our own. In reality, we took our luggage to our rooms and headed straight for lunch in town at The Magnolia Cafe and now are peddling around town, or, like me, blogging at the library. :)) Like most places in the south, this morning was quite cold. I put on all my cold weather gear just to stand out at the trailer before we left at 8:30. It still feels comfortable altho the day is pristine.
The group is divided between the St. F Inn which is in town and the Butler Greenwood Plantation which is 2.8 miles from town by my odometer. I was assigned to the Butler and am so pleased with the assignment. First of all, the location is just beautiful - a charming old home (haven't had the tour yet) on large acreage which is covered with charming cottages - about 6 of them. I and two other ladies are assigned to the Dovecote. I took the 3rd floor bedroom which is up two sets of windy stairs. Sandra took the fold out sofa which is in the kitchen on the 2nd floor and has a bathroom. Katie is on the bottom floor with a king sized bed and bath w/sunken tub. I'll have to be extremely careful going down the steps in the middle of the night! but I've got my trusty flashlight. . . The kitchen is stocked with coffee, croissants, orange juice and milk. There's also a stove, microwave, etc. for more serious cooking which, believe me, we are not interested in! There was some discussion about each lady purchasing something to make up a pot luck supper tomorrow night. I discovered on the drive this morning that absolutely no one seemed interested in that idea. We may get a little wine, cheese, crackers and fruit but no serious cooking for us! Most of us plan to get a good meal tomorrow and noon and just snack for supper. My roommates and I are thinking of having lunch at The Myrtle's Plantation and touring the home tomorrow. . . But first, we'll start with sleeping past 6 am (if the peacock allows), make a pot of coffee and enjoy the croissants on the porch. Except for the peacock it's SO quiet out in the country. Since the Sportsman Motel last night was between the railroad and the highway, tonight should be a slice of heaven! Well, since it's really too pretty to be inside, I'm going to leave you now and come back tomorrow to finish today's journal entry. . . .
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi, I lived in the same quaint Windmill building last year, on the sofa bed! It was such a great place to have a rest day. I did not "rest" much as I and my riding partner went to see three or four plantations, including the Myrtle. We did eat at the Magnolia Cafe and it was delicious! Hope the rest of your trip goes well. I have enjoyed reading your blog so much! Thank you for sharing it with us "alumnae" .
Anne ST-07
Post a Comment