Friday, April 11, 2008
Day 36 Cleveland to Kountz, TX
Only 55 miles today but as usual, we left early - about 8:00. The sky was pitch black. Before I'd gone a mile, I stopped to put on rain gear including a shower cap to keep my head dry. At the 1st sag stop andmaybe even before that, I put it all away . . . The day remained cloudy but the rain went another direction. The road to Kountz was straight and flat. As we changed counties, we also changed pavement surfaces. Went from chip seal and no shoulder, to cs w/shoulder, to chip seal being resurfaced to finally a smooth road w/shoulder. The beginning miles were a little scarry 'cause of the lumber trucks. After we passed Georgia Pacific plant, there weren't many more trucks. . . . Just out of Rye, TX several of us stopped at Ginny's and really enjoyed a piece of Buttermilk Pie and coffee. Actually, I shared pie with Pat. . Arrived Kountz at 12:15 and immediately stopped at Mama Jack's Restaurant - a very popular local place for Southern cookin'. The buffet looked fabulous - fired catfish, okra, shrimp, etc., etc., I enjoyed a barbeque brisket sandwich (not as good as pork but quite good), homemade potato salad and homemade bread and butter pickles. Arriving at the Super 8 by 1:15 it was good to find our rooms available. This Super 8 is newer than last night's and much nicer - a no smoking motel, 2 floors and elevator. The rooms are larger and bed is much more comfortable. I spent the afternoon trimming all nails, washing today's bike clothes and watching tv. Can you believe it? (I rarely watch tv) While doing my stretches I happened on an interview with Charlton Heston (Chuck) who died last Saturday. It was so interesting as he was a consumate actor, gentlemann and devoted family man. Then, I watched BUCCANEER in which he played Andrew Jackson in the battle to protect New Orleans from the British. I think Carolyn Jones played a lead, too. Will check that later. Wandering outside I found Linda preparing our salad for tonight. . . . .It was good to hear from Glenn T. today. . . The logging trucks and tanker trucks were a challenge this morning. With practically no shoulder to escape to, some of them came very close. Most, however, were considerate and moved over or stayed behind until it was safe for them to pass. All part of the adventure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment