Saturday, April 19, 2008
Day 43 Bogalusa to Wiggins, MS
We're in Mississippi!!! Can you believe I've been this far on a bicycle??? What a trip!!! Since yesterday's ride went past Franklinton to Bogalusa, today's ride was shortened by 18 miles. There were two alternatives even today - 50 miles with 30 miles on Hwy 26 to 60 miles with only 3 miles on hwy. 26. Jane and I took the longer route and were so glad we did. Those 3 miles on busy Hwy 26 were stressful due to the hills, the logging trucks and the wind. The winds today were quite gusty. It didn't seem to matter which way we turned. The back, country roads were sometimes in bad shape, too. I noticed lots of new roofs; many were tin. I wonder why. Is tin more durable than roofing tiles? I'm sure the new roofs are a result of Katrina 3 years ago. Early this morning we crossed the Pearl River just outside of Bogalusa. All stopped to run across and take a picture of "Welcome To Louisiana." A little further down, I snapped "Welcome To Mississippi." For many miles we wound around on REAL MS backroads and through what appeared to be very poor neighborhoods - old trailers with blue tarps and falling down houses with blue tarps. Near Poplarville we passed by a trailer home settlement. Two large dogs came out - a black lab/like dog and a large brown of some sort. They seemed to want to play with each other in front of my front wheel. Three times they circled me but never showed animosity. Later, tho, with a group of cyclists, the black dog bit two of the ladies - one seriously. Both spent time in the local ER. The sheriff was called. Micki couldn't rouse anyone in the house altho there were several new cars out front. The boarded up windows roused suspicions that this might be a "meth" house. Both ladies are in and showered and will be fine. We don't know yet about the rabies shots. Also, Phyllis went over her handlebars after probably hitting a huge bolt that was in the road and having a blowout. She's got a lot of roadrash and torn shirt and a banged up bike, but she'll be fine, too, in time. . . . In Poplarville, Jane and I stopped at The Baker Connection for a donut and coffee, then followed the back road route on into Wiggins. This was a very eventful day. . . The almost 2400 miles seem to have caught up with most of us. We're a tired group. . . It's Margarita Night again - we crossed from LA to MS today. . . Celebrated Carol's 50 birthday. Lots of cards and small gifts. Of course, we did the Beaver Song. I don't think I've written about this routine that's become special to this group of ladies. We do the animated song for anyone who does something special for us. I'll try to get the words and share them later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment