Monday, April 7, 2008

Day 30 Kerrville to Blanco, TX

Deep in the heart of TX Hill Country. That's where I've been today. Leaving the Y.O. Ranch Resort we soon turned onto SR 173 and shortly thereafter onto Wharton Rd and a few miles later onto Skyline Dr. and then SR 480 to SR 27 at Comfort, TX. We stopped in this old and very charming town for at least an hour. The recommended bakery was open and each item purchased was said to be "the best." I had a scone that was quite tasty. Just down the street an antique shop was serving free coffee, sweetrolls and hotdogs and lemonade and also offered us the use of their restroom. The coffee hit the spot with our sweets. (That's all we had!) Then, we rode around a bit and found the Sat. Flea Market. that was just getting started. I enjoyed a couple who were playing Celtic music on fiddles. It was hard to leave but we had to press on. Our next segment on Hwy 1621 led us to the General Store in Waring - an antique but still operated store. They have steak night and local music on Sat. nights but no square dancing. The hamburgers being grilled sure smelled good. The gas pumps outside were 1940 vintage. Our next stop was the Sister Creek Vineyards in Sisterdale on Sister Creek (pop. 25). Sisterdale is one of the oldest settlements in the TX hill country. The winery is 20 yrs. old and housed in a 100 year old cotton gin. About 8 of us enjoyed a brief tour and complimentary tasting of 3 of their wines. I enjoyed the Gold Medal Winner Chardonay and also the Muscat Canelli Reserve. Did not care for the Merlot. Fortunately, or unfortunately, TX wines cannot be shipped out-of-state. Leaving Sisterdale we turned onto Rd 473 which led us to Kendalia and Old Blanco Rd, across the Blanco River and into town. The roads today were farm-to-market roads - truly backroads. The farming and ranch lands were lovely. I saw fields of cattle, goats and sheep. In one field the sheep were all huddled together. Guess there was food in the middle. . . The rolling hills were a lot of fun. Almost for the first time, I opened up and let my bike fly. It felt comfortable because the roads were good and carried little traffic and I could usually see where I was going - no switchback downhills. This was my over all favorite riding day so far. . . The group is in 2 motels tonight. I'm at the Blanco Country Inn - not quite as exotic as it sounds but it's clean and comfortable. As I wait for my rommate I'm enjoying the windows being open and the ceiling fan on and the door open. Several of us have hung clothes between our rooms on my clothesline. A glass of Sister Creek wine sure would be good. . .:) Dinner is a block away at The Swiss Lodge where the van and trailer are parked. . . . Tonight Linda outdid herself with grilled salmon, broccolli w/slivered almonds and dressing, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, bread from the Comfort bakery and apple pie from Love Creek Orchards in Medina, TX. UMMMMM

No comments: