Friday, April 4, 2008
Day 26 Brackettville to Camp Wood, TX
We began our ride today from Ft. Clark Springs in a heavy mist. My paper rain jacket was perfect for the first 30 miles. The fog made it a little dangerous, but with my flasher going and my yellow jacket on and just riding sensibly, I felt just fine. And, too, there was very little traffic. The scenery was mostly deer carcasses. I counted 10 altogether. After a good flat ride, I enjoyed a series of rollers that were lots of fun. Stopped a couple of times to read historical markers. The Franciscans started lots of missions in TX to Christianize the Indians. One sign stated that the Indians weren't too interested but that some did become allies. We traveled today close to the Nueces River. The first time we crossed it, the wide river bed was totally dry and covered with sun baked, yellowish white rocks. In it's way, the river bed was lovely. I should have stopped for a pic but was going at a good clip and chose not to stop. I did, however, take a pic of the 4 Aces Ranch gate. One could do a study of ranch gates. Yesterday there was one with a kneeling cowboy that I photographed. I moved so well today and felt much better after Sunday's century. Only made short breaks and reached Camp Wood at 12:50 in time for an hour on the public library computer. The library is run entirely by volunteers and the daily hours are 10 - 2. It seemed like quite a busy place. Without my journal it's difficult to blog, so am way behind. Also, lack of internet access since the 27th has been a problem. Today is Genie's BD. We'll celebrate at dinner. . . .In Camp Wood, a very small Baptist town, we're staying at the Woodbine Hotel which only has 15 rooms. About half of us are in outlying homes which the owner rents. I'm in Rob's Lodge and have my own room with double bed. Bath is across the hall and shared. Michelle and Linda are also here and Linda again has the pleasure of cooking in a real kitchen. Just talked to Laura. . . Looking forward to seeing her and Jim when I reach Kerrville.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment