Monday, April 21, 2008
Day 46 Day off - Dauphin Island, AL
Dauphin Island is THE BEST place for a rest day or a family reunion! With the windows open and the ceiling fan on low, I slept soundly and didn't get up 'til 7 am this morning. In our condo we wished we had taken coffee from previous motels as we have a pot but coffee is not available. Being Monday, the island seemed shut down at 8:00 am when we went off on our bikes looking for breakfast. (On 'off' days we're usually on our own for food.) At the one food market that was open, we hit the jackpot. Not only found good breakfast foods (frozen pancakes, yogurt, fresh strawberries), but also plenty of variety for lunch sandwiches as well. I also found all my Alabama postcards AND stamps. During the day I've written and mailed the cards, toured some of the island, walked a ways on the beach, lounged near the pool and read. I also spent a long time this morning cleaning my bike, especially the back cogs and the chain. It should be in good shape for the rest of the journey unless I encounter rain, mud, etc. . .All of us have the worst tan lines! Too bad that one day on the beach won't even out the lines. . . I've enjoyed watching the seagulls and plovers. Some of the ladies watched an alligator this am at the Audubon Bird Sanctuary. He'd gone under by the time I arrived. . . Michelle's cooking tonight since there are no open restaurants. Linda has the day off. . . Rumor is that she also plans to entertain us on her guitar. I'm looking forward to that .. . Well, it's back on the bikes tomorrow . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Clark - I hope everything is wonderful for you as you wind down your ride in the next few days. As I have been catching up on some of your posts, I realize we've been just days apart on some of the same TX roads through Bastrop and LaGrange. And I won't be too far away when you finish in FL...you could still come join me for the Miami MS150 on 5/3-4 if you haven't had enough riding. ;)
See you soon! Sylvia
Post a Comment