Friday, April 4, 2008

Day 23 Marathon to Sanderson, TX

This morning was misty and overcast but warmer and still. By 10:00 the sky was clear and it truly was a beautifl TX morning. Because the miles were short today - 54, I didn't leave until 10 AM and got to Sanderson about 2:00. I found the local library and checked emails and my bank account. All checks have cleared and pension check has been deposited. :)) I have a new appreciation for local libraries that offer internet access. It's been a plus for me. .Since I can't carry my journal on the bike, it's difficult to blog. Today, I sent an email to everyone in my contact list. Hope this sufficed. The TX landscape continues to change. Today we've been in the Quachita Mtn. foothills that were formed from glacial upheaval 157 M yrs. ago! They look rounded and often are bowl shaped. There's a lot of stratification caused by erosion and sometimes vertical stratification lines resulting from being squished millions of years ago. . . I continue to feel really good and am so happy to be on this trip. Here at the Outback Oasis Motel (rather the opposite of The Gage but quite adequate) the owner put out a stack of News Leaders, the local paper. The editor used a news release from the San Diego paper for an article about our group. It includes a picture of Penney, Judy and me. It's a cute pic for my photo album. We're staying in two motels tonight. The only reason we have rooms at all is that the oil men workers went home for the weekend. Originally we thought we might be sleeping on the floor of the local church. Preparing tonight to get up earlier tomorrow and be ready to roll out immediately after eggs and oats. It will be our longest day so far.

No comments: