Monday, April 7, 2008
Day 32 Bastrop to LaGrange, TX
Such a beautiful day we had today! Leaving Bastrop we almost immediately went into Bastrop State Park and for 15 miles were thrilled by the dense forest, rolling hills including several really steep bumps - one reached 17% grade!! I met my match on that one and walked the top part. We stopped at a vista point and enjoyed a beautiful view. Once out of the park, the road was basically flat but did include some rollers. About 6 of us formed a loose paceline and got to LaGrange at 11:30. We were looking for Frank's Place but when we got there it was closed up. Someone from last year's ride recommended the hamburgers and onion rings. A local worker suggested The Riverside Cafe out from town and across the Colorado River. Off we went to find our lunch. I lifted my bike over the guard rail to go across the bridge on the sidewalk. After a few yards, tho, I had to get back on the road. The walk was much too narrow for me. Not a single car was on the bridge with me! The hamburger and onion rings were just terrific. The ORs were freshly cut and cooked tempura style - fantastic. Afterwards, Ellen and I got apple streudal from Yuka's bakery - also delicious. Stopped to take picture of the courthouse. It's reported to have been featured in THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS. The town square is at the bottom of a fairly steep hill. Leaving the square to find the Best Western on the by-pass, the return up the hill proved not be too bad. It really is amazing how a lot of hills flatten out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Clark,
I was thinking about you all as I was out training for the upcoming UGRR with WT today. Glad that the weather is going well. I sympathize with the 17% grade- I had one downhill like that in Arizona and it scared the patootie out of me.
I'm glad that the weather is cooperating. I hope you are enjoying the wildflowers.
marni
Post a Comment