Saturday, April 19, 2008
Day 42 St. Francisville to Bogalusa, LA
I am so tired tonight I don't know if I can write or not. Our ride out of St. F. today was so beautiful with over hanging trees and lovely homes. At about mile 25, however, things changed drastically. We came up a "bridge out" sign and believe me, it was no joke. Evidently WT didn't know about this glitch. One end of the bridge had a high roadblock of roofing material. We climbed over that and walked along the wooden slat bridge to the opposite end. There the slats disappeared and only the vertical studs existed and some of them had long nails sticking out. The drop was quite deep. God had Micki there for me or I'd still be there wondering how to cross. She hoisted my bike and carried it to the other side and came back for me. Micki literally talked me across. I held on the side beam and she told me where to place my feet. Since I'm so afraid of heights, I was terrified. It took me quite some time to forget about the experience. From then on I experienced a lot of very rough LA roads and very gusty headwinds. Our original route was to end in Frnaklinton, LA at 107 miles. Due to some complication, WT booked us in a motel 20 miles further east in Bogalusa. Some rode 100 miles and sagged the rest. About 1/2 of us did the entire route which for me was 125 miles. Debbie encouraged me to go the distance when she said, "When will you ever be in this good of condition and have an opportunity for this many miles?" I made my decision @ mile 80 to ride on to Bogalusa. Well, I did it but I hurt all over - my knees, fanny. . . Michelle returned from Colorado and Patty goes back to Montana tomorrow. Patty cooked scrambled eggs this morning with spinach and cheese. This made a really good sandwich to help me finish the day victoriously!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment