Friday, April 4, 2008
Day 28 Vanderpool to Kerrville, TX
Being at Foxfire Cabins was like being in camp again except that the cabins were much nicer. Three - six ladies shared each cabin. Some had separate BR's and some slept on day beds or hide-a-beds. Linda enjoyed having a real kitchen again for cooking. . . . Today's ride began a little cool but without the mist. There were two really tough climbs both a mile in length and twisty and gruelling. The grades were clocked at 10 - 15%. I know that even "waltzing" was out of the question as I could hardly turn the crank at all. My speed was down to 3.4 mph! Between climbs we stopped in Medina at Love's Apple Orchard - a really cute shop with comfortable cafe. The menu, however, was limited to apple pie and coffee or strudel and coffee. Debbie and I shared the latter which was absolutely delicious! Several miles later we had the 2nd long climb. I sucked down GU and drank deeply from my gatoraid before starting up. Somehow, I made it without falling over. . . Got to Kerrville and went straight to the bike shop. The owner did his magic on my shifters, and hopefully, I'm good to go and won't have any more trouble. Laura and Jim drove over from Fredericksburg and had dinner with us here at the Y.O. Ranch hotel restaurant and then took me back with them to F'burg. I really enjoyed staying overnight in a real home - feel as though I've had a vacation within a vacation. Met some of their friends this AM as Laura and took a walk around the neighborhood. Did laundry, mailed a package home of heavy winter items, worked some on emails and my blog. Then, they took me to a German restaurant where I had a delicious schnitzel (sp ?) dinner. Jim downloaded my camera card to my flashdrive before they drove me back to Kerrville. This has been a fabulous and restful day off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment