Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 33 LaGrance to Navasota, TX

This is the first day that I've started the ride without a jacket of some sort. It was warm, humid and stormy looking, so I took a jacket in my handlebar bag in case of rain. The clouds loomed all around, but I never felt a drop. All along hwy 137 we rode along antique alley. Barn after barn and field after field had tents set up for flea markets and antique sales. The signs advertised the dates from March 27 to April 5 so we just missed the action. Round Top, TX was at the end of antique alley - a well preserved antique town itself!. They had a display of original home and barn structures. I bought postcards at the mercantile store for SC, D, EG & E. I missed a turn into Burton but didn't go too far out of my way. The experience sort of threw me for a loop, tho. Anyway, a local policeman found me practically crying and personally led me back to the correct road! God's provision once again. The funny thing was that I'd been singing my new favorite song - Amazing Grace when I missed the turn off. "Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved. . ." I think I was overcome with the assurance that I was fine and never really lost and that's what brought on the tears! My family and close friends know how emotional I get over practically nothing, good or bad . . . I loved riding thru Gay Hill and also Independence, TX where Baylor school began. We turned right down a little side street in Independence and discovered a wonderful grocery owned by the Leukmeyer family. Hanna and I had a grilled bratwurst sandwich (on white Wonder bread (the only kind of bread in TX)- one piece, with mustard and mayo) - really good. The benches out front provided a relaxing place to eat lunch. The neighborhood dog ran off with Mary Kay's sandwich when she went inside to sign the guest book. .They encourage bikers to sign their book. Pulling into The Best Western, I checked in, turned around and there were my friends from Dallas who had driven down to see me - Carol P. and Merle I. It was so sweet of them to do this and boy did they hit a good night. Genie L's husband drove over from Crockett, TX to ride with her from Independence to Navasota. Chuck brought quite an assortment of wine and cold drinks and many hors d'oeuvres including homemade deer sausage, cheese cubes, humus, crackers, homemade salsa, strawberries, etc., etc. Chuck even brought long stemmed glsses! It was quite a party. Tonight's dinner included lots of guests - Carol, Merle, Chuck, Dave T, Tom, John (Beaner's husband. They're celebrating their 25th anniversary) and Mark, Sandra's son. Mark was in Seattle on business and returning to Kenya when he decided to drop down and surprise Mom for a few days! What a surprise it was, too, when she loaded her luggage yesterday, turned around and saw Mark standing in the parking lot. We were all thrilled for her. Dinner tonight was beef tacos, corn salad, green salad, Mexican rice with whole, small tomatoes and fudge from Round Top that one of the men (I think) contributed. My guests really enjoyed meeting the ladies and hearing some of their stories. The ride today truly was the most beautiful day to date. The wild flowers were breathtakingly beautiful - just fields and fields, as well as roadside beds of yellow, orange, pink, blue and purple. I took several pictures that may or may not show off the beauty. Judy and I roommates tonight. She's my friend from NC and we haven't been assigned together since the first 2 nights in San Diego. Catherine inquired about my burned lip and hand blister. The Aquaphore has finally allowed the lip to completely heal and the blister turned to a callous and never broke. So, I am totally fine. In fact I continue to be amazed at just how good I feel. The scales indicate that I haven't gained weight as I suspected, I sleep well at night and my daily stretches seem to keep me limber.

No comments: