Friday, April 4, 2008
Day 27 Camp Wood to Vanderpool, TX
Arrived here at Foxfire Cabins in Vanderpool, TX (pop 20) around noon and what a lovely, peaceful spot. I'm staying in the Peachtree Lodge with 5 other ladies. This is a rather new, lovely yellow home with all modern conveniences including washer and dryer just off Hwy 187 and about 2.5 miles from Hwy. 337. Today's ride was awesome! It was only 39 miles but in anticipation of 3 one mile switchback climbs, Linda had our coffee, oats and eggs ready at 7 am. By 7:30 we were off with flashers flashing. It was a cool start and looked like rain. Rain held off and the overcast sky made for a perfect hill climbing day. The long climbs were 10 - 11% grades and one roller coaster climb reached 12% at the top. The vegetation has finally gotten green making for some exquisite vistas today. One man told me that the blue bonnets and other wild flowers are about a week away. I told him about seeing two male deer locking horns and he told me that Bandera Co. is overrun with deer. Continuing to see amusing ranch gates. Today Rust In Peace featured lots of rusting farm equipment in the field near the road. Then, there was MyAnne Ranch and 2 Hearts Ranch. As difficult and long as the climbs were today, they were doable. We were so high at times that I got vertigo looking off into the distance. I tend to keep my head down and my eyes focused on the road. Then, when I reach the top, I stop, get off and enjoy the view. Of course all the way up, I'm waltzing or I'd never make the top. Eternally grateful to Ellen for passing along such an invaluable climbing technique. As I sit here at the kitchen table at Peachtree Lodge, I can see cardinals and squirrels enjoying their corn and sunflower seeds. I'll bet there are deer, too. . . it's now just 2:30 - I've showered and my laundry is about completed. Will read some of my book today. It's good to have a full afternoon of down time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment