Friday, April 4, 2008

Day 25 Del Rio to Brackettville, TX

After yesterday's brutal ride, most slept until at last 7 am. Our motel host cooked breakfast for us - 2 eggs over easy, bacon, hashbrowns, toast and coffee. Being a short day today, we took it very easy. Our motel was on the west side of Del Rio, so riding into town, we saw the first stores since El Paso. Some stopped at WalMart. Others stopped at a bike shop and H.E.B grocery/pharmacy. The pharmacist there (Joe) was extremely kind and helpful to me in finding a product that I hope will heal my sun/wind burned lower lip. He also promised to pray for me and asked my name. The greeter at the store watched our bikes. . . Yesterday my shifting became bizaare. If I shifted down from the big chain ring to the middle, it skipped the middle and went to granny - then, I'd have to shift up to the middle. This morning, Michells squirted all the moving parts of the shifting mechanism and got me going again. She agrees w/Annie in Silver City that I may need new shifters. . . . Several of us picnicked today at a rushing stream. . Sat on the guard rail and concrete. . . . I have a blister on my hand from yesterday and it has hurt all day. Will change gloves tomorrow. Coming into B'vlle, I enjoyed a 2 scoop really good ice cream cone. It must be about 90 today and humid. Staying tonight at Ft. Clark Springs a restored 1852 frontier fort. We have rooms in sort of a motel building and they're very nice. They asked us not to leave our bikes outside and not to hang any laundry outside. . . If it were cooler I might tour the fort. We even got permission to have our dinner inside the dining room facility. Good thing, too, for Linda made delicious chilli which she served with salad, cornbread and watermelon. The chilli was a little hot for outside eating. . .

No comments: