Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 34 Navasota, TX day off

How lovely to sleep late today! Didn't get up until after 7:30 which is very late considering I normally get up at 5:45 or 6:00. Carol, Merle and I had a fabulous breakfast at La Casita down the frontage road from the motel. It was recommended to us by the night desk clerk. It was quiet, too, providing an opportunity for a long visit. They dropped me off at the library before heading back to Dallas. Carol and I go back to 9th grade so their was lots of reminiscing. I met Merle last October when I attended Carol's son's wedding in San Antonio. M now seems like an old friend, too. They are part of my huge support group! Thanks for coming! . . . Since I did my laundry last night, the only thing I really have to do today is clean my bike. I may stay here at the library for awhile, though, before walking back to the motel. It's nice to be able to act like a patron (customer) and just sit and read. . . The staff here is just like my staff at Raleigh - welcoming and helpful. . . I'm still reading SATURDAY by Ian McEwan. Merle suggested I re-read TRAVELS WITH CHARLIE while I'm on the trip. Wish I had a paperback copy but there's no book store in Navasota. Sports seems to be big here as there's a stadium nearby that drew a huge high school crowd last night. The town itself seems to be in a 1950's time warp. As we drove around last night after supper, folks were sitting out in their yards visiting. Remember those days? My home had a wonderful front porch where we sat in rocking chairs that had fold down armrests. As a teenager I spent many hours reading and rocking. Many of the homes here are lovely, comfortable and old. As in many of the towns we travel thru, the stores on main street have been recycled and are still open, trying to provide income. . . . I may add to this later, but, for now, I'm signing out to write my postcards and maybe look at a newspaper. To those who have written comments or sent emails, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I've tried to answer the emails, but if not, I hope the blog does the answering. Time is precious when I do get on a pc as others are always waiting for their turn. Love you all.

No comments: