Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 2 - Alpine to Jacumba, CA


I'm actually in Blythe today on our day off but will try to write as though I were in Jacumba. . . The day started off beautifully - clear, sunny and cool. Wind vest, sandals and arm warmers were perfect. The latter went up and down my arms depending on windchill factor. My one contact and wrap around sunglasses are working out just fine and I'm completely adjusted now to my new saddle. I've found a compatible group to ride with (same speed) which has been fun. The funny thing is that I seem to be the one who gets up all the hills the easiest!! I tell you, the spinning classes are paying off royally. I just have had no trouble and on this day we climbed about 4,000 feet (5100 to date). I can't believe I'm writing this, but I actually have enjoyed the hills. The scenery today was beautiful. After our 1st long climb I pulled in at a vista lay-by, then the rest of the group stopped. Whenever I'm able to load pictures again, I'll add one of the group on this posting. . . . A particular diner was recommended for piiiiiiiiiiie, so you can imagine that 30 of us stopped. I don't think it was as good as the dessert shop in ILL north of St. Louis, but it was good. (Patty, please send my blog address to the MS Divas. Thanks.) . . . Somewhere close to Jacumba we passed a Mexican border patrol fence. When you see this barren topography I really admire anyone who goes to the effort to get into the US. . . . About the group of ladies: I'm in the upper age group. It seems to be in thirds: 50's, 60-65, 66-68. One turned 48 today and Ann's daughter is 23. It's a VERY congenial group, but aren't all bikers fun and congenial? :)) Some are cancer survivors and one is a stroke survivor. She's really amazing, too, as her right side is still affected, although she's learned to walk again and now rides a low bike with two wheels in front and 1 in back. Before the stroke, she did RAGBRAI 7 times. What an inspiration she is to all of us. She's climbed every hill! Jacumba was a charming Spanish inn with lots of character - starless but charming nonetheless.

I still haven't been able to read email because of a password problem, so I really appreciate your comments!

No comments: