Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 4 - Brawley to Blythe, CA


Brawley Inn was our plushiest motel so far - huge 4 poster beds with pillow top mattresses and huge pillows - at least 4! I slept really good. In fact I forgot to remove one ear plug and didn't even hear the alarm. I'm sleeping better than I ever have on bike trips. I know Catherine is praying specifically about that, but I think it's also because I really trained for this ride and haven't been as tired or sore as on some other rides. . . . It was so hot when we got in yesterday that I started out in sockless shoes and shorts. Fortunately I remembered to pack arm warmers and wore my wind vest and light jacket. My hands were numb for the first 1 1/2 hours, but the sky was clear and I knew it would warm up. Our first 40 miles were quite windy - that 40mph thing again, but our slow paceline kept us trudging along. Linda had a wonderful picnic lunch somewhere in the desert at 40 miles. After that we had 9 miles are rather steep rollers. Michelle cautioned us to get really spread out so that trucks, etc. could get around, esp with oncoming traffic. The shoulder was narrow but sufficient. I stopped once to let a truck pass, but never felt threatened or afraid. (another answer to prayer because semis can terrify me) Today's ride to Blythe was 90 miles of heat and wind (after the initial cold), but a good ride altogether. My plantar fasciitis kicked in but stopping every 4-5 miles to get off the bike kept me going. Today we went through the Chocolate Mountains and through the Imperial Valley. Sometimes the mountains looked like cocoa piled up. I rode up a steep hill to observe the desert and the view was spectacular. Because of the late day, WT treated us to dinner at The Sizzler. We were told to choose from the Senior Menu and that proved to be more than sufficient. My small steak was fabulous! Then, of course, there was the salad bar, baked potato and soft serve ice cream!



Today

No comments: