Linda had eggs and oats ready today at 7 am. By the time I had breakfast, I had loaded my bags and pumped my tires. By 7:30 at first light and with flashers blinking I was leaving the parking lot. It was to be a LONG day and more difficult than anyone suspected it would be. The first 20 miles were on I-10 frontage road; the 2nd 20 on I-10. Then, we turned south on SR 118 and followed that the remaining 50 miles to Davis Mountain State Park/Indian Lodge where we're spending two nights. This is a lovely lodge nestled in the foothills of The Davis Mountains. We had some really tough climbing for about 36 miles to the McDonald Observatory - I mean REALLY tough climbing - some grades as much as 10%. Only half of the ladies completed the day; the others sagged from 40 miles and beyond. I really thought today was much more difficult than Emery Pass, and tonight my knees are most uncomfortable. I wish I'd made two ice packs, but didn't think about that soon enough. Michelle admits that this is the hardest day of the trip. I know I still have to face Eagle's Nest in the hill country, but will think about that when the time comes. (Myra, if you're reading this, I'm sure you remember Eagle's Nest on our Texas Hill Country Ride some years ago. . .). Katie and I have a room on the back side and lower level of the lodge and the trailer is parked just outside. So, our front walk with rocking chairs was the gathering place this afternoon for relaxing and discussing the day. The sag drivers, who double as dishwashers for the cook, used our tub tonight to give all the pots and pans a good scrubbing and sanitizing. Actually, we all wash our own plates and utensils each night, but tonight we ate in the lodge. The sag drivers wash the cooking pans every night. Our dinner in the lodge was a delicious Mexican buffet that included a great Tortilla Soup. There's no cell phone service except for Verizon and even that only works in a certain spot. . . . As I was pulling in this afternoon, a small Javelina wondered across the road in front of me. Couldn't get my camera out quickly enough to get his picture. .
Observations:
Vegetation today thru the canyons was Yucca plants. The hills were covered with them making the hills look as tho they had the measles. . . As we got higher (we climbed 2000 ft), the cedar trees took over reminding me of Gila National Forest.
The McDonald Observatory was lovely to look at from afar. When I reached the visitor's center, I declined to continue the climb to the actual observatory! No way!! I was content to purchase postcards. . . Those who've done this trip before me understand, I'm sure.
Several of the ladies are sick or recovering from bad colds, upset stomachs, etc. We're doing all we can to keep it from spreading further. ..
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment