Monday, May 5, 2008
Day 54 Perry to Alachua, FL
The day began quite cool. According to the tv weather, it was cool all over the country - high of 66 expected in Memphis and the wine crop in CA is being damaged by frost. I didn't take off my jacket until mile 40 - about 10:00. The highlight of today's ride was a visit to Ichetucknee Springs - beautiful blue-green, clear water with limestone bottom. I soaked up to my knees - others swam until they saw a snake. He went off into the weeds and Mary declared he wouldn't bother anyone. On the way to Alachua a bunch of us stopped at Floyd's for lunch or ice cream. I actually had the best milkshake I've ever had. Floyd's is an unusual 50's restaurant. We're at The Days Inn tonight in Alachua - a rather inhospitable motel and totally opposite from last night at The Hampton Inn. Among other things, we were asked to park the trailer about a block away from the rooms which makes dishwashing difficult. A friend of Mary's brought us wine and a few hors d'oeuvres tonight. Mary actually rode her bike home to Gainesville for the night - 125 miles. . . . After dinner (Shepherd's Pie and salad), Michelle responded to my invitation for her to sing. She did several numbers - at least two that she wrote. The woman is VERY talented. . . .. I've been told that the ladies are giving individual gratuities rather than combining all of it for each guide. I'll need to buy some thank-you cards. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment