Monday, May 5, 2008
Day 53 Wildwood to Perry, FL
This morning breakfast was inside the Inn and snacks were inside the trailer due to rain. Rain chased us for awhile and finally caught up with us and stayed off and on for the entire 54 miles. Jane and I rode into Perry and stopped for lunch at Wendy's. The bottom fell out as we drove away from Wendy's for the final 1/2 mile. The staff at The Hampton Inn welcomed us with pool towels to dry off with and allowed us to hose off our bikes and wipe them down, too. I offered to pay for my filthy towel (dirt and grease), but no way. It would be bleached and if that didn't get it clean, they will use if for cleaning purposes. This is without a doubt the best hotel chain that has hosted us. . . . It's early this afternoon, but I've washed my clothes and myself and I've cleaned my bike and relubed the chain. . . . Only three nights left to be with this great group of women and then we return to our homes and families and resume normal lives. I really hope to keep up with a few in particular; and I hope someone organizes a reunion in a year or two. . . . Maryanna Lewis Malone "found" me via Susan H. and plans to see me in St. A with perhaps another DG or two. I wonder if THE ANCHORA would be interested in an article . . . Beginning at 5:30 the Hampton served us wine, etc., chocolate covered strawberries and delicious cookies. During dinner which was served inside, Candice came in and said there was someone in the lobby who's father knew me. I went out to the lobby and saw Gay Pitts Galbreath - Willie's daughter. She saw the WomanTours trailer and asked if someone from Memphis was part of the group. She remembered when I stopped by to see her mom last summer on the MS trip. Well, we had such a good visit after I finished talking to Willie on her cell phone. He misses Mary Mac but Gay assured me that he's been on the upswing of late. Willie and I have been cycling buddies for a long time and Mary Mac was once one of my counselors at Camp DeSoto. Coincidentally, Gay is an Ole Miss DG - I didn't know that! Small world. . . It's so good tonight to have Barbara S. as my roommate. We've enjoyed each other and have been roommates about five times. Dinner tonight: salmon, broccoli w/almonds (hot and garlicky), salad and cookies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment